Help Advance RSV Preventative Care Research Among Older Adults Today!
Research Centre: TrialsWest
Location: 6 Barrington Street, Spearwood WA 6163, Australia
Lead Researcher: Professor Peter Bremner
HREC: This study has been reviewed and approved by the Bellberry Human Research Ethics Committee
About the Study
Did you know that RSV is the leading cause of severe lung infections in older adults? RSV or the Respiratory Syncytial Virus is highly contagious and can affect anyone. In some mild cases, it manifests as a common cold. However, RSV can also cause more serious lung problems. Mostly, older adults tend to catch this virus. There is no current approved RSV vaccine.
RSV and flu are different viruses. This means you can still get an RSV infection even if you have been vaccinated against the flu. This is why researchers at TrialsWest are exploring a new potential vaccine for RSV. They’re doing a research study to learn more about the RSV disease and a potential vaccine to prevent people from potentially getting RSV. Through this study, more people may receive preventative care from RSV in the future.
- Participants may receive potential preventative care for RSV at no cost. This means you may get potential protection from the virus.
- Participants will be contributing valuable information that may benefit those with RSV, especially older adults, in the future.
- Participants will be reimbursed in cash for participating in this study. Compensation will only be provided to eligible participants.
- Participants will be helping to advance medical research.
- If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you can withdraw at any time.
- Any information that you provide will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by law.
- Qualified health professionals will monitor your health as it relates to the study.
Who Can Participate?
- Men and women aged 60 years old or older
- Must be in good general health (ie. not currently have any, unstable medical conditions)
- Must not have received a previous RSV vaccine
- Must not currently have cancer
- Must not have an autoimmune disease (e.g. rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, type I diabetes, Graves’ disease, Hashimoto’s disease)
- Must not be allergic to vaccines, medication or latex
- Must be able to attend a minimum of 4-5 study visits at the research site over approximately 2.5 to 3 years
Key Study Details
The study team can explain the research study in its entirety but some study details are:
- Participation in this study involves potentially receiving the investigational preventative vaccine as an injection in the upper arm
- Participation in this study involves answering questionnaires, phone calls, emails and text messages from the study team
About the Research Centre:
TrialsWest is a dedicated clinical trials unit located in Perth, Western Australia. They manage and conduct pharmaceutical-company sponsored clinical trials for new medications. Their team of skilled professionals have more than 30 years experience conducting phase II-IV clinical trials. They consistently provide high quality health care for their trial participants and high quality data for their study sponsors.
Due to the current situation with the COVID-19 pandemic, the researchers would like to assure the participants that ensuring the safety of the participants as well as the study staff is of utmost importance.