Are Low-Calorie Sweeteners A Good Option For Diabetes?
Research Centre: Royal Adelaide Hospital
Location: Port Rd, Adelaide SA 5000, Australia
Lead Doctor: Richard Young
Ethics Committee: This study has been approved by the Human Research Ethics Committee of the Central Adelaide Local Health Network
It is important to control the levels of sugar in our blood. Research has shown that consuming low-calorie sweeteners, at a level equal to consuming a litre of diet beverage over a day for 2 weeks, impacts the way blood sugar levels are controlled in healthy individuals. As a consequence, blood sugar levels can stay higher for longer after a meal, which may be harmful to the body in the longer term.
As those with type 2 diabetes often consume more beverages containing low-calorie sweeteners, this study is looking at if the effects of these sweeteners are larger and potentially more negative for the control of blood sugar levels in those with diabetes versus those without diabetes.
This study seeks men and women who are currently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Participants are required to attend 3 study visits at the research site over a 1 month period and will be compensated for participating in this study.
- You will receive an honorarium of $150 for time spent in the laboratory, on completion of the study (approximately 8 hours in total).
- You will benefit from learning more about your health and diabetes.
- You will be contributing to increasing knowledge of blood sugar control and diabetes.
- You will be helping to advance medical research.
- If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you may withdraw at any time.
- Your records relating to this study and any other information received will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by the law.
- Qualified health professionals will monitor your health as it relates to the study.
Who Can Participate?
- Men and women aged 20-75 currently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes
- Only manage diabetes with metformin medication (e.g. Diaformin, Diabex, Formet, Glucomet) and/or diet
- Willing to undergo an endoscopy
- Able to attend 3 study visits at the research site over approximately 1 month; with visits running Monday to Thursday, commencing at 8:30am