New Potential Treatment for Major Depressive Disorder
Research Centre: NeuroCentrix Clinical Trials
Location: 1 Beck Court, Noble Park VIC 3174, Australia
Lead Doctor: Dr Peter Farnbach
Ethics Committee: This study has been reviewed and approved by Bellberry Human Research Ethics Committee
Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) is a common psychiatric illness that causes disability and diminishes quality of life, and has been shown to increase the rates of substance abuse and suicide. The prevalence of MDD in Australia is approximately 5%.
Unfortunately, current treatments available are not always effective in reducing symptoms of depression. To date, treatment options for MDD have limitations such as delayed onset of benefit and high rates of treatment failure. Researchers are currently exploring if a new investigational treatment can better relieve symptoms of MDD. Findings from this study may help others with MDD in the future.
This study seeks men and women who currently suffer from MDD. Participants will be required to stay at the research centre as an in-patient for 7-consecutive nights during which daily assessments and dosing will occur. After the in-patient stay, there will be 3 follow up visits over the following 3 weeks. Participants will be reimbursed for costs associated with participating in this study (e.g. travel).
- You will be reimbursed actual costs that you incur as a direct result of participating in this study, such as travel, parking, meals, etc.
- If you are traveling outside Victoria, you will still be reimbursed actual costs that you incur as a direct result of participating in this study, such as travel, parking, meals, etc.
- You can socialise and make new friends.
- You will have access to free wifi, free catered food and a private TV.
- You will be helping to advance medical research.
- If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you may withdraw at any time.
- Your records relating to this study and any other information received will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by the law.
- Qualified health professionals will monitor your health as it relates to the study.
Who Can Participate?
- Women aged 40+ who are currently diagnosed with severe major depressive disorder.
- With irregular menstrual cycle.
- Experience at least 4 hot flashes per day.
- Are not diagnosed with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia.
- Able to attend 6 visits at the research centre over a total of approximately 7 weeks.