A Study on Varenicline + Incentives to Aid Tobacco Cessation in Adults
Research Center: Behavioral Health Services of Pickens County
Location: 303 East Main Street, Pickens, SC 29671
Principal Investigator: Erin McClure Ph.D.
IRB Committee: This study has been reviewed and approved by MUSC Institutional Review Board
Many people use both cigarette products and marijuana/cannabis. Even though the co-use of these substances is high, not much is known about exactly why and how these substances interact during a quit attempt.
This study is looking at a commonly used smoking cessation treatment Varenicline (Chantix®) combined with other interventions to potentially help people quit smoking cigarettes. Researchers also are looking to understand for those who are attempting to quit cigarettes but also regularly smoke marijuana/cannabis, how their marijuana/cannabis use interacts with smoking during the quitting attempt.
This study welcomes those who are either just cigarette users and those who are both cigarette and marijuana/cannabis users. Interested participants must be between the ages of 18 to 40 years old and must be interested in quitting smoking cigarettes. Participants are asked to attend 17 study visits at the research site in Pickens, SC for over a period of 6 months.
- You will be compensated up to $1,050 for participating in this study.
- You will get $20 for each referral you invite that is eligible for this study.
- You may be able to potentially quit smoking cigarettes.
- You may help improve treatments related to smoking cessation.
- You will be helping advance research.
- If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you may withdraw at any time.
- Your records relating to this study and any other information received will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by law.
- Qualified health professionals will monitor your health as it relates to the study.
Who Can Participate?
- Adults aged 18 to 40 years old who are interested in quitting smoking tobacco cigarettes.
- Must be a cigarette user.
- Able to attend 17 study visits at the research site in Pickens, SC for over 6 months.
Due to the current situation with COVID-19 pandemic, the study team would like to point out the following:
- The research site does not treat COVID-19 patients and/or suspected COVID-19 patients.
- The research site’s waiting area is spacious enough that participants will not be within close proximity to each other.
- Hand sanitizers are available at the research site.
- The research staff adheres to strict hygienic practices as well as other safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Any staff suspected to have COVID-19, or has come into contact with someone who has COVID-19, will automatically undergo a voluntary quarantine for 14 days.
- Masks are required for anyone entering the site. If you do not have a mask, one will be provided to you.