Researchers Seek Those Ready To Quit Smoking
Research Center: H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute
Location: 4115 E. Fowler Ave. Tampa, FL 33617
Lead Investigator: Christine Vinci, Ph.D.
Researchers at the Moffitt Cancer Center hope to better understand how to help people quit smoking, while also modifying their alcohol use (primarily as it relates to their smoking). All participants will receive quit-smoking study treatment. For alcohol use, participants will define their own personal alcohol goal. Your drinking goal might be to reduce drinking (only drink on Friday and Saturday nights), drink more safely (not drink and drive), or even to stop drinking while making this smoking quit attempt. Alcohol goals are not determined by the study; Each participant will decide on their own alcohol goal.
This study seeks men and women who drink alcohol and who are motivated to quit smoking. Participants are asked to attend 10 study visits at the research site over a several month period and will be compensated up to $180 for participating in this study. All participants will receive nicotine replacement therapy at no cost to aid in quitting smoking as well.
- You may experience an improvement in your smoking and drinking habits.
- You will receive nicotine replacement therapy at no cost to help you quit smoking.
- You will have support to hopefully quit smoking successfully.
- You will be helping researchers understand if the methods used in this study are useful in helping people change their smoking behaviors.
- You will be compensated up to $180 for participating in this study.
- If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you may withdraw at any time.
- Your records relating to this study and any other information received will be kept strictly confidential.
- Qualified health professionals will monitor your health as it relates to the study.
Who Can Participate?
- Men and women aged 18+
- Current cigarette smokers
- Currently drink alcohol