Researchers Helping Kids Get Healthy Through a Natural Supplement
Research Centre: Curtin University
Location: Kent St, Bentley WA 6102, Australia
Research Coordinator: Dr. Monica Jane
Ethics Committee: This study has been reviewed and approved by the Curtin University Human Research Ethics Committee (Approval Number HRE2018-0234)
It is crucial to provide kids with the means to live a healthy life. The number of overweight children in Australia, Canada and the US has doubled in recent years, with a third considered overweight.
Research has shown that weight issues experienced during childhood could result in poor health outcomes later in life. This is why any early intervention is important.
A high-fibre intake has been shown to reduce the risk of metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes, in adults. However, the effect among children is currently unknown. This research study is exploring how consuming more fibre influences a child’s weight and overall health. This study is encouraging interested parents to sign up their children who are experiencing weight problems.
- Participants may see improvements to their weight and overall health.
- Parents and their children will be helping to advance medical research aimed at improving kids’ health.
- Parents will be provided a copy of their child’s individual results from blood analysis and other measurements along with a comparison to national guidelines.
- Participants will be helping to discover a potential non-medication option for kid’s weight management.
- Participants will be given a gift card upon completion of the 3 study visits.
- After completing the 16-week study, which includes 3 clinic appointments (40 minutes each and will be scheduled before school in the morning) and completing 3 sets of questionnaires, each participant will qualify for a free nutrition information session.
- If the participant’s wellbeing is identified to be at risk, this will be indicated so you can seek further help.
- If you and your child decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you may withdraw at any time.
- Your child’s records relating to this study and any other information received will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by the law.
- Qualified health professionals will monitor your child’s health as it relates to the study.
Who Can Participate?
- Kids aged 9-13
- Who are able to consume milk products
- Who are considered above the average weight for their age.
- Who do not have any of the following conditions:
- Gut disorders such as lactose intolerance, coeliac, or Crohn’s disease
- Eating disorders
- Mental health conditions
- Who are able to attend 3 study visits at the research site over approximately 4 months
- Who has a parent or legal guardian willing to provide written, informed consent
- At Curtin University we take the threat of COVID-19 very seriously. As such, we have very stringent health and safety measures in place to protect you and your child should you choose to participate in this study. These health and safety measures will be explained to you in detail prior to your attendance at the university.
- We understand that your child’s health and wellbeing is of the highest importance to you.
- This study is conducted in a professional manner in a safe, non-judgmental environment.