Research Study Seeks Students Who Want to Lose Weight and Reduce Stress Levels. A Mindfulness App May Help
Please note: This trial has finished recruiting and is not accepting new participants.
Research Centre: The University of Queensland
Location: Ground floor, Building 33, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Woolloongabba
Lead Researcher: Lynnette Nathalie Lyzwinski
Ethics Committee: This study has been reviewed and approved by University of Queensland Human Research Ethics Committee
University students are at risk for weight gain during their studies, something that is commonly known as the “Freshman 15”. Students are also known to experience a high level of stress which has been linked with unhealthy weight related behaviours.
Previous research suggests that mindfulness may help with student stress, weight loss and management. This study is investigating whether a mindfulness-based app can aid weight loss, improve weight related behaviours, and reduce stress in university students.
This study seeks University of Queensland undergraduate students (18 – 25 years old) who own a smartphone and want to lose weight and reduce their stress levels. Participants are required to attend two study visits at the research site over 3 months (once at the beginning of the study, and once at the end).
Benefits to Participation
- You may experience weight loss and learn how to better manage your weight
- You may experience less stress and learn how to better manage your stress
- You will have free access to the mindfulness app during and after the study
- You will receive a $20 coffee voucher and may be eligible for an iPad Mini draw
- You will contribute to medical research to find out if this app is helpful for university students with weight management, weight behaviours, and stress.
- If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you may withdraw at any time.
- Your records relating to this study and any other information received will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by the law.
- Qualified health professionals will monitor your health as it relates to the study.
Who Can Participate?
- University of Queensland undergraduate students who are 18 – 25 years old
- Have a smartphone
- Wish to lose weight and reduce stress
- Do not have any serious medical condition or eating disorder
- Able to attend 2 study visits at the research site over approximately 3 months