New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel May Improve Symptoms of Knee Osteoarthritis
Please note: This trial has finished recruiting and is not accepting new participants.
Research Centre: University of Queensland and Princess Alexandra Hospital
Location: Princess Alexandra Hospital, 199 Ipswich Road, Woolloongabba QLD
Lead Doctors: A/Prof Luis Vitetta, Dr Samantha Coulson, Dr Henry Butt, Dr Phillip Vecchio, Prof Michael Whitehouse, Prof Nicholas Bellamy
Ethics Committee: Reviewed and approved by the University of Queensland and the Princess Alexandra Hospital Medical Research Ethics Committees
This is a research study of GlycOmega Plus™, a natural medicine made from New Zealand Green Lipped mussel.
GlycOmega Plus™ is currently available for purchase, and has been shown in previous trials to significantly improve knee pain, stiffness and joint mobility, as well as improve gastrointestinal function (primarily reflux, abdominal pain, bloating, flatulence, constipation and diarrhoea) in people with osteoarthritis of the knee.
In this trial, the researchers will be assessing improvement in knee osteoarthritis symptoms, gastrointestinal function and gut microbiota profiles.
Benefits to Participation
- The study medicine may improve your knee osteoarthritis symptoms.
- At the end of the study you will receive 3 months supply of Ultiboost Cold Extracted Green Lipped Mussel at no cost (the same medication used in the study).
- The study medicine may improve your gastrointestinal function (reflux, abdominal pain, bloating, flatulence, constipation, diarrhoea).
- Medical evaluations, knee x-ray, medications and parking will be provided to you at no cost.
- Qualified health professionals will monitor your health.
- You will be helping to advance medical research.
- If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you may withdraw at any time.
- Your records relating to this study and any other information received will be kept strictly confidential.
- Upon completion the results of the study will be shared with you.
Who Can Participate?
- Females & Males aged 40 to 80
- Have Osteoarthritis of the knee, OR have experienced knee pain for the past 6 months.
- Willing to cease taking any nutritional supplements for the 12 week study duration.
- Are able to attend the Princess Alexandra Hospital on 3 occasions.