New Treatment May Reduce Acne (Fremantle, WA)
Please note: This trial has finished recruiting and is not accepting new participants.
Research Centre: Fremantle Dermatology
Location: 229 High Street, Fremantle, WA 6160 (shown on map)
Lead Researcher: Kurt Gebauer
Ethics Committee: Reviewed and approved by the Bellberry Human Research Ethics Committee (Australia) and Northern A Health and Disability Ethics Committee (New Zealand)
Acne can have lasting emotional and psychological effects, and even cause permanent scarring. Celtaxsys Australia Pty Ltd is investigating a treatment that may reduce acne.
The treatment comes in the form of a capsule to be taken daily after eating.
This study seeks males and females who suffer from moderate to severe acne. In addition to taking the daily capsule, participants will be required to attend multiple study visits over a 20 week study period. Participants are reimbursed for each study visit. If all of the scheduled study visits are completed, participants will receive $630.
Benefits to Participation
- Your acne may improve. However there is a 1 in 3 chance you may receive placebo (dummy treatment) which will have no effect.
- You will be reimbursed up to $630 for travel, parking, meals and other expenses.
- You will be helping to advance medical research.
- You will be seen by a dermatologist who will fully assess your acne
- If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you may withdraw at any time.
- Your records relating to this study and any other information received will be kept strictly confidential.
- Qualified health professionals will monitor your health as it relates to the study.
Who Can Participate?
- Men and women aged 16 to 44 who have moderate to severe acne
- Willing to take a study capsule daily for 12 weeks (and keep records).
- Willing to stop any acne medication that you are currently on for the duration of the study.
- Have a stable skin and hair care routine and willing to maintain this routine and use the same products (including soap, shampoo, make-up and face wash) for the whole study.
- Willing to visit the research site for a baseline visit (4 hours) and 8 additional study visits (1 hour each) over a 20 week period.