Research Study Invites Adults to Participate in An Exercise Training Program
Research Center: Joslin Diabetes Center
Location: One Joslin Place, Boston MA
Lead Investigator: Laurie J. Goodyear, PhD
IRB Committee: This study has been reviewed and approved by Joslin Institutional Review Board
The number of people in the U.S. and around the world suffering from obesity and chronic conditions such as Type 2 diabetes is rapidly growing. Researchers have been focusing on new therapies and treatments for these conditions in the last few decades. An accepted treatment for both type 2 diabetes and obesity is endurance exercise training.
Exercise has shown to help prevent the start of chronic disease and has shown to improve the metabolic factors of those with chronic disease. This study aims to determine how aerobic exercise training affects the fat tissue under the skin of the belly, protein changes in the blood, and overall health.
Interested participants must be between the ages of 25 to 55 years old. Participants will undergo a personalized 10-week exercise training program at the Joslin Diabetes Center which is designed to help improve their fitness. They must be willing to attend 7-8 study visits as well as come to the Joslin Diabetes Center gym 2 to 3 times a week, during a 10-week exercise training program and complete monitored exercise sessions from home for (maximum of 30 training visits) at the research site for over 15 weeks. Compensation will be available in this study.
- You will get a personalized exercise program designed to help improve your health with an exercise physiologist at no cost.
- You may help others suffering from obesity and chronic conditions such as type 2 diabetes in the future.
- You will be compensated for participating in this study.
- You may offer helpful information to further research on chronic diseases such as diabetes and obesity.
- You will be helping to advance medical research.
- If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you may withdraw at any time.
- Your records relating to this study and any other information received will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by law.
- Qualified health professionals will monitor your health as it relates to the study.
Who Can Participate?
- Men and women aged 25-55 years old.
- Able to comply with the following study requirements for over 15 weeks:
- Attend 7-8 study visits at the research site
- Come to the gym 2 to 3 times a week for the 10-week exercise training program (maximum of 30 training visits)
- Willing to comply with blood sample tests
- Willing to comply with fat tissue samples (biopsies)
Due to the current situation with COVID-19 pandemic, the study team would like to point out the following:
- The research site does not treat COVID-19 patients and/or suspected COVID-19 patients.
- The research site’s waiting area is spacious enough that participants will not be within close proximity to each other.
- Hand sanitizers are available at the research site.
- The research staff adheres to strict hygienic practices as well as other safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Any staff suspected to have COVID-19, or has come into contact with someone who has COVID-19, will automatically undergo a voluntary quarantine for 14 days.
- Interested participants will not be left waiting for a long period of time and will be quickly attended to.
- Participants will be asked to wear a mask during the study visits, where applicable.
- Parking is available and fees will be reimbursed at the research site.
- The study team encourages the use of personal vehicles, taxi or rideshare services rather than public transit.
- The research site/institution is taking all precautionary measures to ensure the safety of the study participants.