Diet and Exercise Research Study Seeks Overweight/Obese Men and Women to Participate
Please note: This trial has finished recruiting and is not accepting new participants.
Research Center: University of Colorado Denver
Location: Clinical Translational Research Center (CTRC), Anschutz Medical Campus, 12401 E 17th Pl, Aurora, CO
Lead Doctor: Dr. Bryan Bergman
Ethics Committee: This study has been reviewed and approved by the Colorado Multiple Institutional Review Board
People who are overweight or obese are at greater risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes.
This study plans to learn more about how fat stored in muscles is related to the risk of developing diabetes. This study involves three groups where participants will either follow a weight loss diet (meal replacements provided), a personalized and monitored exercise training plan, or continue their normal diet and exercise regime, with the option for weight loss diet and/or exercise training after the study is complete.
This study seeks men and women who are obese or overweight. Participants are required to attend multiple study visits at the research site over approximately 5 months and will be compensated $500 for completing this study.
Benefits to Participation
- If you participate in the diet group, you may experience weight loss. You will also receive meal replacements.
- If you participate in the exercise training group, you may become fitter. You will also receive personalized exercise training.
- If you follow your normal diet and exercise regime, nothing about your lifestyle should change. After the study is complete, you will have the option to sign up for either the weight loss diet and/or exercise training.
- You will gain information about your health, and learn about nutrition and healthy living.
- You will be compensated $500 for completing this study.
- You will be helping to advance medical research in Type 2 diabetes.
- If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you may withdraw at any time.
- Your records relating to this study and any other information received will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by the law.
- Qualified health professionals will monitor your health as it relates to the study.
Who Can Participate?
- Men and women aged 35 – 50 years old who are overweight and obese
- Do not take any medications that control blood sugar (e.g. antidiabetic medication such as metformin)
- Lead a sedentary lifestyle
- Have a generally stable weight
- Women who are not pregnant or planning to become pregnant for the duration of the study
- Non-smokers only (this includes tobacco, marijuana, and e-cigarettes/vape pens)
- Able to attend study visits at the research site over approximately 5 months