Research Center: University of California, Los Angeles
Location: Los Angeles, CA 90095, United States
Lead Researcher: Dr. Tien Dong
About the Study
With the stress of the world currently, a number of people in our lives have turned to alcohol in order to cope. But some of those have become more dependent than they would like. This is why the need for more effective therapies aiding people who struggle with alcohol use disorder.
Researchers at UCLA are currently investigating the relationship between our gut and brain and how they affect the treatment of alcohol use disorder. Through this study, the researchers are hoping that the research will allow medical providers to better prescribe treatments to help people in the future control their alcohol cravings and possibly quit drinking.
Are you interested in trying to quit drinking, and potentially get paid for it? Join this study.
- Participants will be given either a placebo (a sugar pill), or a commercially available probiotic supplement to be taken every day over the 3-month period. The study is trying to understand if the probiotic supplement is useful in curbing alcohol intake.
- Participants will be compensated up to $100 for participating in this study.
- Participants will be contributing valuable information that may benefit those with alcohol use disorder in the future.
- If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you can withdraw at any time.
- Any information that you provide will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by law.
Who Can Participate?
- Individuals aged 18 and above who are within driving distance of UCLA
- Must be interested in trying to cut back their alcohol use
- Must not have any of the following medical conditions:
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s or ulcerative colitis)
- History of gastrointestinal cancer
- History of gastrointestinal surgery
- Chronic pancreatitis
- Must not have taken any antibiotics or probiotics within the last 3 months
More Study Details
The study team will explain the research in its entirety but some details are:
- Participants will be given either the study probiotic or a placebo
- Participants will be required to provide blood and stool samples
- There will be follow-up calls between visits to see if participants have any issues with the medication
About the Research Center:
University of California, Los Angeles
As a public research university, UCLA’s mission is the creation, dissemination, preservation, and application of knowledge for the betterment of our global society. UCLA combines the close-knit learning environment of a spirited public school with the endless opportunities of a world-class city.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the researchers would like to assure the participants that ensuring their and the study staff’s safety is of utmost importance.