Research Centre: Sonova Canada
Location: Sonova Innovation Centre Toronto, 3105 Glen Erin Drive #2, Mississauga ON L5L 1J3, Canada
IRB: This study has been reviewed by WCG IRB
About the Study
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), about 466 million people worldwide have hearing loss. Hearing loss may be caused by genetics, difficulties at birth, certain infectious diseases, chronic ear infections, the use of particular medications, exposure to excessive noise, and aging. Researchers are seeking ways to help those with hearing problems and need healthy individuals to help test innovative hearing technologies.
Researchers at Sonova are studying the effectiveness of existing and new hearing assistive technologies. The researchers are looking for volunteers from the community to join their research database and help evaluate new hearing technology designed to help people hear better. The insights gained from the study will be used to optimize the technologies under study, refine audiological practice, and inform future innovations.
Want to get involved in research that might not only improve your hearing but the hearing of others like yourself? Join now and get started in research today.
- Those with hearing loss may experience the benefit of improved hearing while using the devices.
- Participants will be paid $20/hour (no selling of goods or services)
- New understandings and approaches may emerge that better serve the needs of individuals with hearing loss
- The insights gained from the study will be used to optimize the technologies under study, refine audiological practice, and inform future innovations.
- Someone will explain this research to you.
- Taking part in this research is voluntary. Whether or not you take part is entirely your decision.
- If you don’t take part in the research, it won’t be held against you. Your decision to not participate will not result in any penalty or loss of benefits to which you are otherwise entitled.
- You can participate now and later decide not to participate, it will not be held against you. Your decision to withdraw will not result in any penalty or loss of benefits to which you are otherwise entitled.
- We protect your information from disclosure to others to the extent required by law (Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA)).
Who Can Participate?
- 18 years or older at the time of enrollment in the study
- Individuals with hearing loss
- May or may not be current hearing aid users
- Must have the cognitive and functional capability to operate the controls for the devices and to comply with all directions during the study
- Must have good understanding (read/write/speak) of the English language
- Must be willing to comply with all study requirements
- Must be in good overall health
More Study Details
The study team will explain the research in its entirety but some details are:
- The general procedures include a study intake form (asking for your contact information, language and musical skills, education, audiologic and health conditions that may affect the tasks of the experiment, daily listening situations and your availability to test devices)
- You will receive a hearing assessment
- You may receive the following assessments: cognition, vision, walking ability
About the Research Centre:
Sonova Innovation Centre
Sonova, headquartered in Stäfa, Switzerland, is a leading provider of innovative hearing care solutions. They reach their customers through multiple channels; this diversity lets them benefit from their broad range of solutions – hearing aids, cochlear implants, wireless communication products, digital solutions, and professional audiological care – in the way that best suits their individual needs. Sonova operates through four businesses – Hearing Instruments, Audiological Care, Consumer Hearing, and Cochlear Implants – and the core brands Phonak, Unitron, Connect Hearing, Sennheiser (under license), and Advanced Bionics as well as recognized regional brands. The Group’s globally diversified sales and distribution channels serve an ever-growing consumer base in more than 100 countries.