Research Center: Henry Ford Medical Center
Location: 39450 West 12 Mile Road, Novi, MI 48377
Lead Researcher: Philip Cheng
IRB: This study has been reviewed and approved by the Institutional Review Board (IRB15661)
About the Study
Does your job confuse your sleep cycle? Many night shift workers are feeling the brunt of Shift Work Disorder (SWD). SWD is a prevalent and severe medical disorder threatening public health and safety. Symptoms of SWD can include insomnia, excessive sleepiness when awake, and loss of sleep.
Researchers at Henry Ford Medical Center want to explore Shift Work Disorder further. By understanding SWD better, researchers may be able to develop and test an approach that hopes to improve the health and productivity of night shift workers at the frontlines of the most essential services. If you are struggling to get proper shut-eye due to your work schedule, then consider signing up for this study!
- Participants can be compensated up to $3000 for participating in this study.
- Participants will be contributing valuable information that may benefit those with Shift Work Disorder (SWD) in the future.
- Participants will be helping to advance medical research.
- If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you can withdraw at any time.
- Any information that you provide will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by law.
- Qualified health professionals will monitor your health as it relates to the study.
Who Can Participate?
- Men and women aged 18 and older
- Must be experiencing Shift Work Disorder (SWD) due to working at least 3-night shifts per week (with shifts being between 18:00 and 02:00 and lasting between 8 and 12 hours) for at least 6 months and a plan to maintain the nightshift schedule for the duration of the study
- Must not have insomnia or excessive sleepiness during a work shift
- Must not be diagnosed with any other sleep disorder. This includes but is not limited to obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) or narcolepsy
- Must not be currently using any medication for insomnia or sleepiness
- Must not be diagnosed with substance use disorder
- Must be able to attend 3 study visits at the research site over approximately 12 weeks
More Study Details
The study team will explain the research in its entirety but some details are:
- Participants must complete surveys that help the investigator understand their sleep habits
- Participants must provide a urine sample for lab testing: if required, the urine will also be tested to check for drugs of abuse and alcohol
- Participants will receive an Actiwatch/Apple Watch to be worn for the duration of the study
- Participants will complete daily electronic sleep diaries for the duration of the study
About the Research Center
Henry Ford Medical Center
Henry Ford Health is an integrated, not-for-profit health care organization in Metro Detroit. The corporate office is at One Ford Place in Midtown Detroit, Michigan. Henry Ford established the health system in 1915, and it is currently run by a 17-member board of trustees.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the researchers would like to assure the participants that ensuring their and the study staff’s safety is of utmost importance.