Please note: This trial has finished recruiting and is not accepting new participants.
Research Center: Royal Adelaide Hospital
Location: Hyperbaric Medicine Unit, Royal Adelaide Hospital, North Terrace, SA
Lead Doctors: Dr David Wilkinson, Prof Ian Chapman, A/Prof Leonie Heilbronn, Dr Suzy Szekely
Ethics Committee: Reviewed and approved by the Royal Adelaide Hospital Human Research Ethics Committee
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy has been used in hospitals for over 50 years for a number of medical problems. The Royal Adelaide Hospital recently found that this therapy can improve the action of insulin in your body. Insulin controls your blood sugar levels and the loss of insulin will lead to diabetes.
Participants will be asked to undergo Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy while measuring the effect of insulin in their blood.
Participants will be attending 5 morning visits and receive $500 for their participation in this study.
Benefits of Participation
- Potential to help with insulin resistance.
- You will be helping to advance medical research.
- You will be given $500 at the conclusion of the study to cover inconvenience, travel and parking costs.
- Your records relating to this study and any other information received will be kept strictly confidential.
- Upon completion, the results of the study will be shared with you.
- Qualified medical professionals will supervise your care.
Who Can Participate?
- Males age 18+
- Have a BMI of between 25 and 40kg/m2 (check your BMI here)
- Are able to attend the Royal Adelaide Hospital on 5 occasions
- Are willing to have blood samples and fat tissue biopsy