About the Study
Research Center: Alliant International University
Location: This research study will be conducted virtually
Lead Researcher: Michele Woo, M.A.
IRB Committee: This study has been reviewed and approved by the Alliant International University Institutional Review Board
Being a caregiver is a full-time job that requires one’s time, patience, devotion, and understanding. A typical day in the role goes far beyond just caring for your patient, especially when it comes to caring for those with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. It may feel overwhelming at times, which is why it’s always important to check on the mental health and well-being of caregivers who dedicate their lives to helping those in need.
This research study seeks to gain a deeper understanding of the experiences of Chinese American caregivers who care for a family member with Alzheimer’s or dementia. It aims to provide a better insight in developing culturally appropriate and sensitive programs and services to cater to Chinese American caregivers and care recipients.
- Participants will be contributing valuable information that may benefit the Chinese-American community in the future.
- Participants will be helping researchers provide a better understanding of the cultural values and factors that are crucial when addressing the caregiving of family members with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia.
- Participants will be compensated with a $10 visa card for participating in this study. Compensation will only be provided to eligible participants who complete the study.
- Participants will be helping to advance the limited amount of research on the mental health and well-being of Chinese American caregivers.
- If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you can withdraw at any time.
- Any information that you provide will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by law.
Who can Participate
- People aged 21 and above who identify as Chinese-American
- Must be currently living in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Must have a family member who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia
- Must be providing care for at least 6 months to a family member with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia
- Must speak and understand English
- Must be able to devote 2.25 hours to completing research study activities
Key Study Details
About the Research Center
Alliant International University
Alliant International University prepares students for professional careers of service and leadership and promotes the discovery and application of knowledge to improve the lives of people in diverse cultures and communities around the world.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the researchers would like to assure the participants that ensuring their and the study staff’s safety is of utmost importance.