Research Center: Sonova USA, Inc.
Location: Sonova USA, Inc., 47257 Fremont Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538, United States
Lead Researcher: Dr. Grace Gardner
IRB Committee: This study has been reviewed and approved by the WCG Institutional Review Board
About the Study
Did you know that approximately 1 in 7 people living in the United States have hearing loss? Hearing aids or other hearing assistive technology are the gold standard for treating this condition. That’s why this study is testing investigational hearing devices, to find ways for improvement. The information gained in this study may improve hearing aid technology for future users.
Better hearing aids mean more people may like using them. This not only helps folks hear better but may also help them improve their social interactions. The goal is to create a world where people with hearing loss can fully enjoy life and where everyone’s well-being is valued, no matter how well they hear. So if this study interests you, see if you qualify. Let’s make a positive impact together.
- Participants will be compensated up to $150 for participating in this study. Compensation will only be provided to eligible participants who participate in the study.
- Participants will have access to new investigational hearing technology.
- Participants will be contributing valuable information that may benefit those with hearing loss in the future.
- Participants will be helping to support improvements in hearing aid technology, including the features and usability of hearing devices.
- If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you can withdraw at any time.
- Any information that you provide will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by law.
- Qualified health professionals will monitor your health as it relates to the study.
Who Can Participate?
- Men and women aged 18 years old and above who are diagnosed with hearing loss.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English.
- Must own a smartphone (Android or iOS).
- Must have experience using hearing aids for at least 3 months.
- Must be willing to use investigational hearing aids for the duration of the study that may not have the same features and programming as their current hearing aids.
- Must have a reliable internet connection via WiFi or a data plan associated with their smartphone.
- Must not be currently using any ambulatory assistance device (e.g., cane, walker).
- Must not be undergoing post-operative surgical care or have surgery planned in the next 6 months.
- Must not have fine motor limitations preventing them from using hearing aids (e.g., difficulty inserting or removing the hearing aids or pushing buttons on hearing aids).
- Must not have a history of any medical conditions that make it difficult for them to walk without assistance.
- Must be able to attend 3 study visits at the research site over approximately 3 weeks.
More Study Details
The study team will explain the research in its entirety but some details are:
- Participants will be asked to have a hearing evaluation and hearing aid fitting.
- Participants will be asked to wear hearing aids along with a waist-worn device for a total of 3 weeks.
- Participants will also be asked to complete questionnaires in the clinic at three points during the study period: at study initiation, one week after enrollment, and at the end of the three-week study period.
- Participants will be asked to log information about their device use on a daily basis during the three-week study period.
About the Research Center:
Sonova USA, Inc.
Sonova, headquartered in Stäfa, Switzerland, is a leading provider of innovative hearing care solutions. They reach their customers through multiple channels; this diversity lets customers benefit from their broad range of solutions – hearing aids, cochlear implants, wireless communication products, digital solutions, and professional audiological care – in the way that best suits their individual needs. Sonova operates through four businesses—Hearing Instruments, Audiological Care, Consumer Hearing, and Cochlear Implants—and the core brands Phonak, Unitron, Connect Hearing, Sennheiser (under license), and Advanced Bionics, as well as recognized regional brands. The Group’s globally diversified sales and distribution channels serve an ever-growing consumer base in more than 100 countries.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the researchers would like to assure you that the safety of the study participants and staff is of utmost importance.