Drink Milk? Inviting Healthy Individuals to Join This Research Study!
Research Centre: Nutrition Research Australia
Lead Researchers: Dr. Flavia Fayet-Moore, Dr. Michelle Blumfield, and Ms Emily Duve
HREC: This study has been reviewed and approved by the Bellberry Human Research Ethics Committee
Location: Participants can be located anywhere in South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales (i.e., Sunshine Coast down to Ballina).
About the Australian IMmunity (AIM) Study
It is known that what a person eats can affect the way their immune system works. Research suggests that certain types of proteins in cow’s milk could affect the body’s immune system and other aspects related to immunity such as gut health and brain health.
Nutrition Research Australia is now looking at the role of specific foods and food components in improving gut health and in turn, immunity. They are doing a research study comparing two different types of cow’s milk, each with a different type of cow’s milk protein, on immune function. This study could provide the opportunity to improve gut health and immunity by drinking milk.
- Participants will be provided meals for 8 weeks.
- Participants will be contributing information that would advance dietary recommendations.
- Participants will be helping to advance research that may help adults with poor immunity in the future.
- If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you can withdraw at any time.
- Any information that you provide will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by law.
- Qualified health professionals will monitor your health as it relates to the study.
Who Can Participate?
- Healthy men and women aged 18-40 years
- Must have a BMI of 18.5-30 kg/m2
- Must be able to speak and read English
- Must not have a chronic disease including, autoimmune conditions, kidney or liver disease, cardiovascular disease (e.g.., high blood pressure) and diabetes
- Must not have any known or self-diagnosed food allergies
- Must not have seasonal allergies
- Must not have irritable bowel syndrome
- Must not be on a self or healthcare professional-prescribed diet
- Must be able to attend 4 study visits at your local QML pathology centre over 8 weeks
More Study Details
The study team will explain the research in its entirety but some details are:
- Participation in this study involves consuming cow’s milk every day for 4 weeks.
- Participation in this study involves being willing and able to limit alcohol and caffeinated beverage consumption as well as avoid nicotine product use (if applicable).
- Participation in this study involves being willing and able to avoid using prebiotic and probiotic supplements as well as artificial sweeteners.
- Participants will complete online surveys on 5 different days (each 1-2 weeks apart).
About the Research Centre:
Nutrition Research Australia
Nutrition Research Australia is a group of nutrition scientists, educators, and communicators that have expertise in conducting high-quality research and translating it into practical and engaging messages. From nutrition publications to communication campaigns, their work is always independent and conducted with the highest scientific integrity.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the researchers would like to assure the participants that ensuring their and the study staff’s safety is of utmost importance.