This New Technology Can Help Caregivers Of Patients With Dementia & Alzheimer’s
Research Center: Carilion Clinic Center for Healthy Aging
Location: At Home, 90 Mile Radius from Roanoke, Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia or Greensboro, North Carolina
Research Staff: Azziza Bankole, MD; Martha Anderson, DNP; John Lach, Ph. D; Tonya Smith-Jackson, Ph. D; Temple Newbold, MSN, RN
IRB Committee: This study has been reviewed and approved by Carilion Clinic’s Institutional Review Board
Agitation is the most common reason for placing people with dementia into nursing homes as it can increase caregiver burden, stress, and depression. Nobody knows when agitation will occur and many things in the environment may bring it on.
Many methods used to deal with agitation don’t always work and have unwanted side effects. Other methods work best when used very early in the agitation episode. A tool to catch agitation early would give caregivers the upper hand to fix the situation, and hopefully have less agitation and less caregiver stress.
This study seeks participants aged 50+ who are diagnosed with dementia and live in one home with a caregiver for more than 2 months. Participation requires 2 home visits for 2-4 hours each and participants will be compensated with a $50 gift card.
- Caregivers can learn and improve their caregiving skills
- You will be helping develop a technology that will reduce caregiver stress & burden
- You will be compensated with a $50 gift card
- You will be helping to advance medical research.
- If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you may withdraw at any time.
- Your records relating to this study and any other information received will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by the law.
- Participating in this study will not affect any medical care you are receiving from your primary care provider.
Who Can Participate?
- Men and women aged 50+ who suffer from Dementia/Alzheimer’s and live in the same home with a caregiver for more than 2 month
- Able to have 2 in-home study visits for 2-4 hours each
- Have not been hospitalized in the past 2 months