Enjoy Doing Things with Your Child? Join a Study Around Becoming Healthy Together
Research Center: Healthy Eating and Activity Laboratory, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Location: Knoxville, TN 37996
Lead Researchers: Hollie Raynor, Leonard Epstein, J. Graham Thomas, Scott Crouter and Kristoffer Berlin
IRB Committee: This study has been reviewed and approved by the University of Tennessee, Knoxville Institutional Review Board
Childhood and adult obesity are concerns that can lead to health complications.
Researchers at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville are seeking families who are interested in a healthy living plan involving diet and exercise. The purpose of this research study is to determine if a family-based program that has goals for healthy eating and being physically active for both the child and adult caregiver can improve child weight.
This study seeks parents/caregivers with overweight or obesity who have a child aged 8 to 12 with overweight or obesity. Participants are required to attend 39 study visits at the research site over an 18-month period and may be compensated up to $185 for participating in this study.
- You and your child may experience weight loss.
- You and your child will learn more about consuming and preparing a healthy diet.
- You and your child may become more physically active.
- You will learn healthy lifestyle methods that may promote a healthier body weight.
- You may be compensated up to $185 for participating in this study.
- You will help researchers learn more about childhood obesity and methods to help promote a healthy lifestyle.
- If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you may withdraw at any time.
- Your records relating to this study and any other information received will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by law.
- Research professionals will monitor your weight, eating, and activity as it relates to the study.
Who Can Participate?
- Parents (18+) and children 8-12 years old who are interested in learning more about methods for a healthy lifestyle and who may be struggling with weight.
- Not currently participating in a weight loss program or on a medically prescribed diet.
- Able to attend 29 1-hour program meetings at the research site over 18 months.
- Able to attend 2 individual appointments every 6 months for 18 months for participants’ assessment.