Research Centre: Peninsula Therapeutic And Research Group
Location: 137 Frankston – Flinders Rd, Frankston, VIC 3199, Australia
Lead Researcher: Dr. Jennifer Grunfeld
HREC: This study has been reviewed and approved by the Bellberry Limited Human Research Ethics Committee
About the Study
Depression can often feel like an uphill journey, leaving individuals desperate for answers and relief. Its impact spans the globe, touching the lives of millions. If you’re among those who continue to battle symptoms even with antidepressant medication, this study may offer a glimmer of hope. This study is specifically designed for individuals like you, offering an opportunity to explore a new approach to managing depression.
This study aims to see if an investigational treatment may be effective and safe when taken alongside current antidepressant medication. Through your participation, you’re not just joining a study but contributing to a body of knowledge that could reshape the landscape of depression treatment. The insights gained from this research might just be the key to unlocking new avenues of relief and recovery for individuals struggling with this complex condition.
Interested? Read on to learn more!
- Participants may receive a new potential treatment for depression at no cost.
- Participants will be reimbursed for study-related travel costs (accommodation costs may be covered if you live more than 160 kms or 2 hours from the clinic).
- Participants may experience improvements in their symptoms of depression.
- Participants will be contributing valuable information that may benefit those with depression in the future.
- Qualified health professionals will monitor your health as it relates to the study.
- If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you can withdraw at any time.
- Any information that you provide will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by law.
Who Can Participate?
- Men and women aged between 18-74 years old who are diagnosed with depression
- Currently experiencing symptoms of depression
- Must be currently taking an antidepressant medication
- Must not have tried 5 or more antidepressants to treat their current episode of depression
- Must be able to complete 10 study visits (6 in-person visits at a clinic in Frankston and 4 visits over the phone)
More Study Details
The study team will explain the research in its entirety but some details are:
- Participants will be randomly assigned to take either the study medication or placebo, which looks like the study medication but contains no active medication. There is an equal chance of receiving the study medication or placebo.
- Participants will be asked to take the study medication or placebo once a day for 6 weeks.
- Participants may be eligible to enter a separate study where they receive the study medication for 12 months after they complete the initial study (there is no placebo group in this study, everyone receives the study medication).
- Participants will continue to take their current antidepressant medication throughout the study.
- Before participants begin the study, the study team will explain any known side effects and study-related risks.
- Participants will be closely monitored for any changes in their physical and mental health while they are in this study.
About the Research Centre
Peninsula Therapeutic And Research Group
PTRG is a clinical research centre that specialises in mental health studies. Their team of doctors, nurses, clinical researchers, and administrative staff have 20 years of clinical trial experience. They aim to provide the best possible care to their patients by offering clinical research opportunities using medications that are not available to the general public.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the researchers would like to assure the participants that ensuring their and the study staff’s safety is of utmost importance.