Interested in Achieving a Healthier Weight and Managing Your Diabetes and Sleep Apnoea? This Study May Help


Next Steps

  1. Complete the study questionnaire
  2. Understand if you’re eligible to participate
Click Here

Research Centre: Woolcock Institute of Medical Research
Location: 2 Innovation Road, Macquarie Park 2113
Lead Researcher: Professor Ron Grunstein
HREC: This study has been reviewed and approved by the Monash Human Research Ethics Committee

About the Study

Are you living with type 2 diabetes and struggling with obesity or being overweight? A new research study might offer hope. This study aims to explore a potential breakthrough treatment called Retatrutide. Designed to complement a healthy lifestyle, Retatrutide aims to assist adults in managing obesity, type 2 diabetes, and sleep apnoea. The study’s core focus is to assess the effectiveness and safety of this new anti-obesity medication, offering a beacon of possibility for those navigating these interconnected health challenges.

This research focuses on comparing Retatrutide with a placebo to see how it helps people manage both type 2 diabetes and weight issues. It’s all about understanding if this new treatment can assist in tackling obesity while dealing with diabetes and sleep apnoea, significantly easing the burdens of chronic disease for both individuals and society as a whole. Your participation in this study could mark a turning point in the quest for more effective solutions, potentially lightening the load for those managing the complexities of these intertwined health conditions.

Interested? Take the online questionnaire to see if you qualify!

Why Participate?

  • Participants may receive a new potential treatment for type 2 diabetes and obesity at no cost. The randomisation will have 3 groups on differing doses of the medication and 1 group on placebo (1:1:1:1). This means that there is a 75% chance of participants receiving the medication and a 25% chance of them receiving the placebo.
  • Participants will receive lifestyle counselling by a dietitian throughout the study.
  • Participants will be compensated for their travel costs and reasonable out of pocket expenses.
  • Participants may experience improvements in their sleep apnoea and type 2 diabetes symptoms. They may also experience improvements in how they manage their weight.
  • Participants will be contributing valuable information that may benefit those with type 2 diabetes, obesity, and sleep apnoea in the future.
  • Participants will be helping to advance medical research.

Your Rights

  • If you decide to participate in the study and later feel that you no longer wish to be part of it, you can withdraw at any time.
  • Any information that you provide will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by law.
  • Qualified health professionals will monitor your health as it relates to the study.

Who Can Participate?

  • Men and women aged 18 and above who are diagnosed with type 2 diabetes
  • Must have obesity or be overweight, with a BMI of 27 or higher
  • Must be willing and able to use effective contraception
  • Must not be pregnant or planning to be pregnant within the following year
  • Can be on CPAP therapy for sleep apnea or untreated
  • Must not have had a prior or planned surgical treatment for obesity
  • Must not be taking insulin regularly to treat diabetes
  • Must not have had a diagnosis of cancer in the last 5 years (cervical cancer and skin cancer okay)
  • Must not have had a significant cardiovascular event within 90 days prior to screening (Visit 1)
  • Must not have a history of chronic or acute pancreatitis
  • Must not have acute or chronic hepatitis
  • Must not have known allergies or intolerance to GLP-1 receptor agonists, GIP/GLP-1 receptor agonist (e.g., Saxenda, Ozempic, Wegovy, Mounjaro)
  • Must not have participated in another clinical study involving an investigational product within the past 90 days
  • Must be able to attend 23 study visits and 2 overnight sleep studies at the research site over approximately 89 weeks

More Study Details

The study team will explain the research in its entirety but some details are:

  • Participants will be asked to undergo a screening period lasting approximately 5 weeks with 2 planned visits and an overnight sleep study to assess study eligibility.
  • Participants will be asked to experience a study treatment period spanning about 1 year and 6 months with 23 planned visits and 2 overnight sleep studies, receiving the study medication and self-administering weekly injections via a prefilled pen.
  • Participants will have the option to participate in certain visits through telehealth (phone or video calls).

About the Research Centre

Woolcock Institute of Medical Research
The Woolcock Institute of Medical Research is a not-for-profit research institute. It aims to improve the quality of life for people affected by sleep and breathing disorders.

Please note:
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the researchers would like to assure the participants that ensuring their and the study staff’s safety is of utmost importance.

Study Location

What’s Next?

  1. Click the link to enter your contact details and take the study questionnaire.
  2. If eligible, a member of the research team will contact you to discuss the study and answer any questions you may have.
Click Here to Check Your Eligibility for this Study

Is This Study Not For You?

Enter your details to be notified via email about new studies in your area